Family Law for Financial Professionals: The Basics, and Critical NTK (Need To Know) Issues: Sponsored by: Satinder Dhinsa, CFP
Family Law for Financial Professionals: The Basics, and Critical NTK (Need To Know) Issues
Satinder Dhinsa, CFP
Free Raffle Prize: Google Home mini
Join us on May 16th.
8.5 CPD hours
Statistics show that up to 50% of marital and common law relationships end in separation. The financial and emotional cost of such breakdowns are significant. This course will cover everything financial practitioners need to know when faced with family law issues of their clients, employers, or friends.
The following topics will be covered during this event:
- Overview of the FLA, Completing Form 13.1, Defining Valuation Date and Treatment of the Matrimonial Home (9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.)
Speaker: Joanna Harris, LL.M. of Miller Thomson LLP
- Child and Spousal Support – The Basics and Common Issues (10:05 a.m. to 11:05 a.m.)
Speakers: Lorne Fine, LL.B., Q. Arb. and Daniel Dominitz, J.D. of Fine & Associates Professional Corporation; Natalie Derbyshire and Elise Visco of Kronis, Rotsztain, Margles, Cappel LLP
- Different dispute resolution areas, disclosure issues, timelines & disclosure obligations, and role of the financial professionals do’s and dont’s (11:10 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.)
Speakers: Todd Slonim, LL.B., Acc. FM, Diana Solomon, LL.B. and Timothy Deeth, J.D. of Devry Smith Frank LLP
- The Emotional Side of Family Law Disputes (12:15 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.)
Speaker: Risa Ennis, B.A., AccFM (OAFM), M.A. of Risa Ennis Family Mediation and Counselling Services
- Marriage and Co-habitation Agreements, and Marriage Date Issues (1:20 p.m. to 2:20 p.m.)
Speaker: Richard Diamond, LL.B. of Bales Beall LLP
- Double Dipping – Not All Dip is Equal from Boston to Halliwell & Excluded Property – Treatment of Income from Excluded Property (2:25 p.m. to 3:25 p.m.)
Speaker: Geoffrey Wells, M.A., LL.B. of MacDonald & Partners LLP
- Case Law Update: Property (3:25 p.m. to 4:25 p.m.)
Speaker: Stephen Kirby, B.A. (Hons), J.D. of MacDonald & Partners LLP
- Tax Issues and the ‘Orderly and Equitable’ Settlement of Property and Equalization Matters in Family Law (4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.)
Moderator: Alison Pengelley, J.D. of Galbraith Family Law Professional Corporation
Panelists: Hon. Donald G.H. Bowman, Jesse Brodlieb of Quantum Tax Law, Todd Louie of Quantum Tax Law, Vinay Khosla, M.Acc., CPA, CA of Bateman MacKay LLP and Melanie Russell
This event will be held at the Donalda Club.
Location: Donald Golf Club: 12 Bushbury Dr, North York, ON M3A 2Z7 Free parking
- Cost $250.00 plus HST
- Registration & light breakfast – 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
- Presentations – 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (lunch at 12:15 p.m.)
Great workshop, very valuable and inspiring. I would like to attend the workshop again………………….Chiedozie Megwa
Each event is fantastic! I learn something new every time that will help me in my professional and personal life. I hope to be a regular in TheGAAP.net events. Mrigank Kabra
The workshop was very informative and well organized, covering the relevant topics and providing the right amount of content. The audience had adequate opportunity to ask questions to the speaker and interact with the fellow attendees. It was a workshop worth the time and cost. Look forward to attending the future workshops. Kul Makkar Director ITA Canada